Pages

Monday 27 October 2014

Teaching French

The first thing that came to my mind while I was on summer holidays was that I would never be able to teach French simply because I am not good at speaking it.  Nevertheless, I somehow managed to pass it successfully and enjoy it a lot. Even now looking back I would really like to go and teach children French. Who would have thought?!
I was teaching second grade children  from 8 to 9 years of age. For me it is more exciting to work with little children other than with teenagers because they are kinder, more honest and open. They would hug me before and after classes and it made me feel so happy!
When I was giving a lesson for the first time at that school I had a nervous wreck - my knees were shaking, giant butterflies were flying around inside my stomach and my thoughts were in a total chaos. But day by day the whole strenuous thing disappeared and I just started to enjoy the process.  
So, I have some tips for those who only begin their career as a teacher:
1) First of all, you should stay confident in order to gain a firm standing. It is a must. But it's not a problem if you don't have it, "just fake it untill you make it".
2) Smile and be kind and open with children.
3) Improvise more and be prepared if something goes wrong.
4) Be emotional and supervise the teaching process by sharing how you feel (whether you are satisfied with their work or not). A good teacher is like an actor. Be ready to play a role of a "mother" or a good "adviser" to them.
5) If you promised children something, you are to keep it.
6) And finally, don't lose yourself. Your ideas, hopes and personal traits of character should always accompany your speech and the way you treat pupils.    



Love, Christina M.

No comments:

Post a Comment