Pages

Monday 22 September 2014

Deutschland (Part III)

Cologne has always been my dream come true city mainly because of Cologne Cathedral. On Sunday my friends and I took a trip to Cologne early in the morning ( okay, 8 a.m. is quite early for me). We bought the schoenes -Wochenende-Ticket which provides 5 people to travel across the country during weekends for 44 Euro (46 Euro - if you buy a ticket in a Schalter). So, it was almost like 9 Euro for each of us. But the most important thing here is that you cannot use ICE trains only regional ones (you can find more information here ) which leads to switching trains that sometimes might create problems if you hardly understand announcements in German. If you don't know German that well then you can just ask people before getting on a train in case if there has been a change of the platforms.


I remember someone told me that Cologne Cathedral was situated really close to Hauptbahnhof but I could never imagine that it was actually THAT close! It is soooo huge and impressive. I am not lying saying that my mouth dropped when I first saw it in real!


The inside is as beautiful as the outside with its stained-glass windows, organ and long halls.


Cologne is also famous for its chocolate museum that is not far from Cologne Cathedral (if you have GPS).  Lindt is actually Swiss chocolate not German but it tastes so good! If you are a student the Eintritt costs 6,50 Euro.  Honestly, it is probably the best place if you want to know about the history of chocolate making but it would have been better if they didn't place too much information on the walls but the most important one. By the end of the excursion I got a bit tired and the proper place to overcome your tiredness was the chocolate cafe located inside the museum. 






Cologne is one of the biggest cities in Germany with its own unique architecture and crowds of people entertaining themselves, laughing and drinking beer ;)







Love, Christina M.

No comments:

Post a Comment